Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What Metal Cleats will Do to You

THIS POST IS RATED -R-

for REALLY GROSS!

Yesterday was Emily's final tournament. They played 3 games. In order to advance to sub-state finals they had to come in 2nd place. Unfortunately, they fell short of their goal. (it was a tearful night at our house.)

As Luck would have it, Emily was injured at the end of game #3. As she was tagging a player out at 2nd base, the opposing player inadvertently shoved her metal cleat into Emily's knee. OOPS!

I had taken Megan to her softball game in Marshall County, about 1 hr and 45 minutes away from where Emily was at. Emily toughed it out, finished the game, and rode the bus home. She called me around 9:30 p.m. and told me she needed stitches. I was 45 minutes away, and Megan's game still had 30 minutes to go! What's a mom to do? Of course - I asked the Step-Dad to check it out.

Geary was very good...he made sure she cleaned the wound very well, and then put lots of antibiotic on it. When I got home Emily was asleep so I didn't wake her up. This morning I checked out her leg and YUCK! She definitely needed stitches.. After checking her shot record I found that she needed a tetanus shot too. She wasn't due till July....but the thought of all the dirt and germs in her leg, and a nearly expired tetanus shot made me a little nervous.

We had a fun morning at the Drs. WE TOOK PICTURES! Emily got her DTAP....a numbing shot (it turned the skin white..weird), and 3 stitches. We also had a fun excursion to the Pharmacy, followed by a yummy breakfast at the Huddle House. If you have a tummy for gore check it out! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!



Now that Softball is over Emily has time to catch up on her reading. Blues Clues was her "novel" of choice. I wonder if its on the AR reading list?








EWWWW...the painful shot that takes away future pain.









She's not real happy. Emily HATES shots! Just ask the 4 nurses who held her down 10 years ago as she got her shots before starting kindergarten.






Prepped and ready for some minor surgery.









The doctor is starting the 1st stitch. The needle is rounded...you can see it pushing up on the skin by his thumb. Are you still watching?










Here is the final result. Notice how the numbed skin turned white. So cool! I think I want to be a Doctor! NOT!




Here is the write up from their final tournament.
Woodville's season ends in area tournament — At Athens, the Woodville Panthers' softball season ended Monday in the Class 1A Area 14 Tournament at Athens Bible School.The Panthers went 1-2 in the tournament, falling to Skyline in the opening round 2-1. Emily Huston finished 4-for-4 with a triple. Amber Guthrie was 3-for-4 with an RBI while Gabby Phillips was 3-for-4. Phillips also struck out six in the circle.Woodville followed the loss with a 15-0 win over Paint Rock Valley in the elimination bracket. Phillips went 4-for-4 with a triple and four RBIs. Huston closed 3-for-3 with a home run and an RBI, while Shellby Abel and Krislon Thompson went 3-for-3 and Chelsea Cline 2-for-3. Thompson finished with four strikeouts in the circle.The Panthers were eliminated from the tournament after suffering a 9-6 loss to Valley Head in an elimination bracket semifinal. Cline went 3-4 with and RBI, while Guthrie and Thompson both went 2-4 with an RBI. Phillips had five strikeouts in the circle.

2 comments:

  1. Way to tough it out, Em! Awesome pics, but I really was expecting more blood and guts. :) I hope it heals well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think they were going to let me just cover it and let her finish the game. If I didn't need her so bad, I would have made her go to the ER right then. It was really gross. You could see the flap of skin hanging over. I knew it hurt, but I don't think she was crying. She really did tough it out. I was very proud of her this year. She did great.

    ReplyDelete