
After the Sports Banquet on May 7th, the kids went to their Aunts wedding in Texas. Geary and I had planned a short get away while they were out of town. We planned on going to Mobile...and to the coast of Alabama. On Tuesday Geary threw his back out at work. It was pretty bad. He could hardly move. I took the day off on Wednesday and we had x-rays done etc. We figured we’d have to cancel our plans.
While he was getting checked out at the Chiropractor...I could feel a cold or something coming on. Oink Oink....just kidding...NOT THE SWINE FLU! But by the time Friday rolled around I felt horrible. Not only did I feel horrible I felt depressed because I was really looking forward to the beach.
Geary insisted that we leave the house and do something...even if it was just in Chattanooga. We checked the weather and it was supposed to rain all weekend. Boo Hoo. It was supposed to be sunny at the coast though. Geary told me to pack up and we were leaving. My heart wasn’t into it just ‘cause I felt aweful...but I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to be a downer. We packed up and left with a heat wrap on his back and Sudafed in my purse.
The further we got away from Huntsville the better I felt. The heat wrap was so amazing that Geary was able to drive the entire way to Mobile. He was stiff...but he did okay. We stayed in La Quinta in Daphne. It was brand new and had the most amazing bed. It was the memory foam mattress. Perfect for his back! And the room was only $85.00. Awesome!

The next day we went to Dauphin Island. We had to go over a bridge to get to the island. The sand was white and wonderful. We got in the water and swam around. I layed out a little. We got WAY SUNBURNED.

That evening we ate at a restaurant named Felix’s. The food was amazing. I had crab chowder as an appetizer....Unbelievably good. Then I had crab cakes served over fried green tomatoes. I never had crab cakes served like that but it was the best combination. One of my sides was Macaroni and Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy. It was FABULOUS. The best mac and cheese ever. 3 kinds of cheese, creamy, warm and freakin awesome! I can’t wait to go back. If you are ever in Mobile check out Felix’s.

We also went and saw the USS Alabama. They had planes, tanks, boats, helicopters. They even had a Memorial. Thanks to all the men who put their life on the line to protect our Freedom!

Our weekend getaway was much needed. I’m so glad we went! My cold disappeared and the bed and ocean was just what Geary needed for his back (although he’s still sore he’s doing much better). Thanks for a great weekend, honey.
(It was so great that I almost forgot that our car broke down on the way home and we spent 4 hours waiting for parts and service. The day we went to the beach the car battery died so we bought a new battery. Fortunately we were only 2 blocks from the part store. Geary was mortified because I carried the battery. (Remember, his back!). The next day on the way home we realized it was really the alternator. UGH! We stopped at a nice gas station – they had tables, chairs, TV and a variety of books. We sat there for 4 hours until our car was fixed. Hey – I got my seminary lesson done! That part of the trip was expensive and irritating ...but things worked out the best they could. We were glad to be at a decent station.)
No comments:
Post a Comment