Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Surviving a Tornado

I'm sure everyone has seen the news and is up to date on the information about the tornado that hit last Wednesday.   We feel very fortunate that the storm passed us by.   The aftermath has been a minor inconvenience compared to the emotional and financial set backs many are experiencing.   We are glad to be alive, healthy, and able to live in our home.

My parents are still without power...as is Research Park in Huntsville - where I work.   78% of power to Huntsville has been restored.  They are focusing on residents first...and businesses later.   My kids were supposed to return to school tomorrow morning - but I just heard the opening was delayed again.  

I will go to work....but without power  I don't expect to have much to do.   There is a generator keeping the Dynetics building going.   They have several large conference rooms set up with computers for critical employees to work on deadlines.   Needless to say....I'm not a "critical employee".   I will show up...but I don't know that they will let me stay or that they will even need me.  I've used all my vacation time so things are going to get interesting financially.  I'm not worried.   The Lord has always taken care of us.

Alot of people are in the same boat as me.   Many manufacturing plants are closed until power is restored.   That means many workers are sitting home waiting for the call.   Frustrating.

On the upside...I've completely enjoyed a break from my work routine.   I love being home  with the kids and like being able to take care of the house.   I didn't even mind going without power.  Going without water would have been a total challenge.  It's been nice to see neighbors outside cooking out and playing cards.   We rely too much on TV and waste our time in front of the "boob tube".

We are getting a little bored since most businesses are closed and there is only so much entertainment you can get from WalMart.  Ha Ha!   We don't have a computer at the house right now so I can only get to facebook from my phone.   It takes forever to type and my signal isn't that great.   Don't take it personal if I don't respond.  

Things we've learned. 
1. Food Storage IS important.  (DUH) 
2. Don't rely on a freezer for food storage if you don't have a generator. 
3. If you have a generator keep a supply of gasoline in your storage rotation. (It is only good for a few
    months.) But without electricity you can't pump gas. 
4. Keep bags of ice in your deep freezer - just in case.  Or freeze 2 liter bottles with water or Milk cartons.
5. Keep candles and matches in supply.  Lanterns and Oil Lamps work too - just be careful about 
    ventilation.
6. Have a grill with charcoal or propane tanks ready in case of emergency. 
7. WATER WATER WATER - can't live without it, can't clean without it, can't flush the toilet without it so
    STORE IT.  If you are on well water you will also need a generator in case you lose power.
8. Have a Solar Radio.  Ours was awesome - is there someone who can invent a way to solar charge a cell
    phone battery?  If you can do it get on it!
9. Have a regular old fashioned phone in the house. Cordless house phones are great - But keep a phone
    that doesn't rely on electricity in the house as a backup.   We didn't have a house phone and couldn't use 
    our cell phones because the batteries died.
10.  Keep CASH on hand and use small bills.  (Not everyone can make change.)  ATMs need electricity to
        run.  So do bank computers. 
11.  Be ready to help your neighbors - share resources. 

I'm sure we could add to this list - These are just some of the things that we learned through our experience.

We love you all.   Thanks for your prayers and concern.   Keep praying for power at my moms house.   We hope it will come on soon.  Remember to pray for all the victims of this storm.   So many people have lost their homes, their businesses,  and their family members.   Send financial contributions to United Way or the Red Cross.